Thursday, September 30, 2010

I Never Want to Leave India

I don’t want to leave. This morning I was skyping with my parents and at the end they said something to the effect of, “You’re over halfway done! It’s almost time for you to come home!” At which I instantly teared up, quickly hung up, and had to take about 5 minutes to compose myself. This has been happening often, there are many moments that I don’t want to end, and I feel as if I am seeing some things that are happening in hindsight as they are happening in real time, if that makes sense – like I am watching them with a twinge of sadness knowing that 3 months from now I will miss them.

Juxtapose this with the fun night I had with Rachel Patil, a friend from EPHS and Bethel that I ran into on the street on Saturday. We met up tonight and I brought her downtown, showing her the Bangalore I knew. What a blessing to be with someone who knows the world that I come from! Crazy, though, too, because we are at two very different places when it comes to our relationship with India. I smile when she talks, because I myself was once where she was – in the “I appreciate India” stage. What brought me to the “I never want to leave India” stage? I don’t know that I can pinpoint it…but I am thankful that I arrived J

No comments:

Post a Comment