Saturday, September 25, 2010

It's a Small World, After All

So this morning I was walking down Main Hennur Road in Kothanur (the small suburb of Bangalore that is closest to where I live) and I heard somebody yell my name. I was with two students, and none of the others were supposed to be in town, so I was rather confused. I looked around and didn’t see anyone I knew, said to the students, “I think I just heard my name.” They did too, and we all stood around in confusion. I started to walk, but heard my name again and turned around to see an auto-rickshaw coming towards me with a girl flailing out the side yelling my name. she appeared slightly Indian, and I was like, “Who the heck is this? I have met SOME people around my age, but none that I know so well that they would turn an auto around and chase me down on the street.” She came closer, and it was none other than Rachel Patil, who I went to college with. We had chatted at a wedding this summer that she was going to be going to India too, but her plans had been to be in the north. Well, they changed, and here she is in Bangalore. She asked me where I’m staying, and I told her saying, “I’m at Visthar, it’s an NGO in that direction.” The said, “Oh yeah, I know Visthar. I just started volunteering at Accept.” Accept is the HIV/AIDS hospital that is right next door to Visthar. Yeah. Crazy. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment