Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Currently Craving

This week I have suddenly been craving several unique things. Although it isn’t life-altering nor enlightening, I thought I would write them down because it is kind of funny to think about, wonder why these cravings, and to look back at later.

1. Anne of Green Gables. Seriously. Oh how I would love to curl up with the Anne of Green Gables series and just read – for pleasure – one after the other. It doesn’t help that last night when I was helping the girls study for their English exam the poem that they were memorizing had the word “blithe” in it. All I could think about was Gilbert. Why Anne of Green Gables? I really don’t know. But I’m looking forward to being reunited with her come January.

2. Pancakes. Oh man. I get plenty of carbs here thanks to my rice-filled diet, but when it comes to comfort carbs (bread, pastries, muffins, cake, cookies) I’ve got nothing. India hasn’t exactly burst onto the “gluten free baked goods” scene yet. Which is a good thing for me J But the students made pancakes on Sunday and as I watched them load them up with nutella, peanut butter, bananas, and apple compote, I started counting down the days til I can return to OPH. I could really go for some chocolate chip pancakes right now. Or blueberry. Or pumpkin. Oh yum cinnamon raisin. Well, looks like I’ll be going for about a week straight when I get home…

3. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. I think that this speaks for itself…what I wouldn’t give for a nice fresh batch of buckwheat-flour chocolate chip cookie dough (especially if I was wrapped up in a blanket watching episode after episode of the OC)

4. Chipotle. Mexican food is pretty scarce around here. The question I’ve been asking, though, is can I eat it with my hands?

5. DQ Blizzards. This is a tough one for me, because (a) they are horrible for you and (b) the candy is all GMO, which is something that I’m really trying to avoid. But….can I really resist a Reeses blizzard, extra Reeses? I think I’m going to have to go with an 80/20 rule on this “ethical eating” thing…

6. Shopping. I know, I know, it’s bad. Here I am in India living and preaching a simple lifestyle and…I’m craving consumerism? But it’s not really consumerism that I’m craving. It’s the materials, the smell of new fabrics, the thrill when you walk into J.Crew or anthropologie and see the creativity with which they have rearranged and re-displayed, the excitement of seeing new styles, the company and conversation of browsing…walking into ampersand or que sera and getting new decorating ideas for the home that I don’t have yet…mmm I’m getting chills just thinking about it.

7. Autumn. Although this isn’t something tangible, it is definitely something that I’m craving. I love how the nights turn chilly and the air turns crisp, the leaves start to change colors and there’s a feeling of excitement in the air, an anticipation for what this new season holds. Even more weird is that, while in Minnesota the seasons are changing and will evolve into a frigid winter by the time I get home, I will remain in one consistent season until then: about 70° and hazy.

Okey dokey smokey, I think that’s it for now. A little piece into the inner life and cravings of Jen J

No comments:

Post a Comment