Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Productivity Lost

Ok. First of all, who allowed it to be the 21st of September already?!? I cannot even believe it – where in the world does time ever go? And secondly, how is anybody ever productive in their job here? Growing up I remember my mom always saying that it was easier to work from home because at work she never got anything done…and I totally and completely understand that now. Every day I start out with good intentions and by 5:00 I wonder where the day has gone. Sid and I call it the Visthar Vortex. I think a part of it too stems from the Indian work culture, which is so focused on relationships and community – which is great, but doesn’t really lend to productivity. We have teatime in the morning, which sucks 45 minutes to an hour, and then teatime in the afternoon for about half an hour…but by the time teatime is over, it is 4:15 or 4:30 and what can really get done between then and the end of the day? Not a whole lot. Today, I was called into the office for a meeting…which was really a surprise birthday party for a colleague. Which was awesome, and I love the community that it builds, but it really puts a damper on efficiency.

Then again, never again will I have a job where I can walk around barefoot all day long, so I guess at the end of the day it’s all ok J

No comments:

Post a Comment