Monday, September 20, 2010

Anger. Anger. Anger.

Ohhhhh I am so mad.

So mad.

Last Friday, all of 10th standard failed their English class. Not just our girls, but the entire class at school. What was their punishment? To stand on one leg with their hands above their heads for an hour and a half in the sun without food or drink.

In my country, this would be asking for a lawsuit.

Not here – “This is India” is the reply that I got when I told people.

So now, of course, it is midterm exam time and after last week’s performance, all of the tutors are begging for English help for the girls. I have been dying to have class with 10th but have been told that they didn’t have time, so when they asked me to help I was overjoyed.

That is, I was overjoyed until we sat for the first session and I was told, “Jen, don’t worry about reading the story or that they understand. Just make sure that they can recite back to you the correct answers and we will talk about the meaning later.”

Oooooooooooooh I almost cried. I felt like I was betraying everything that is true and right in the world of education…

I did it, though, because at this point (a) it was 9pm, (b) if they don’t have the correct answer they will be hit and (c) I tried to instill some understanding of the meaning as we went along. But I am just hopping mad.

1 comment:

  1. *Gasp* I don't blame you for being angry, single-n! I'm still in shock after reading this!

    ReplyDelete