Friday, September 24, 2010

There's a Mouse in my House

I didn’t sleep very much last night. About 15 minutes after I laid down, I started to hear what sounded like an animal chewing outside my window. I smiled, thinking “ah, the cow got loose” (and yes, that is a normal occurrence here). However, pretty soon I started hearing rubbing and scratching against my front door. And then a scurrying and a gnawing. I sat up, scared out of my mind. There is often a rat that scurries and squeaks on my roof – this I am used to. No problem. But scurrying and gnawing? No thank you. So after a while of sitting in my bed clutching my flashlight, I convinced myself to jump out of bed and run to the door. I heard something run away, and the rustling that I had heard stopped. Until I kicked the trash can; then it began again. Ew. I ran back into bed and grabbed my phone. Who was I going to call? No clue. But it made me feel safer J I laid back down and tried to sleep, but the noises all started again. I sat up and peeked towards the door. I could see something out there…and then I saw something small and round scurry across the crack under my door. Eeeew heebie jeebies. And then something went “phwft” on the floor on the left side of my room, and I shrieked. And Debbie woke up to Jen sitting cross-legged as small as she could become, sleep mask pushed up on her head and flashlight in hand. “I think there’s an animal in our roooom” I whimpered, laughing and crying at the same time. So we both got out of bed, turned on the light, and got up the guts to open the door. A cat scurried away, and our screen was still intact, so at least we knew the culprit to that noise. We took some boxes out of the garbage, looked under the beds, shone our flashlights everywhere, but saw nothing. We got back into bed, laughing but still paranoid, and had the most difficult time falling asleep because at every noise we would ask, “is that inside?”

The next morning, I was in the library waiting for a skype call when Debbie came in and said, “Jeeen. There is a mouse in my suitcase.” Ewwwww. So I ran back up to our room, and helped her pull her suitcase outside (trying to keep my body as far from the bag as possible). We unzipped it and saw something crawling through the sleeve of her fleece. Ewwww I have the heebie jeebies just thinking about it. We started taking things out of the suitcase, but then the mouse moved out of the fleece and we saw it in all its brown ugliness. Screamed, ran, and then came back and dragged the bag further from our room. We stood looking at it, and finally a security guard came and was nice enough to start taking things out of the bag for us. When almost everything was out, he found the mouse in the corner. Discovered, it jumped out of the bag and ran away.

Ewwwww.

And then we went back and cleaned our room like crazy.

But Debbie will never forget waking up to me sitting scared in the middle of my bed, and I will never forget the look on her face when she told me there was a mouse in her bag. And we had a great story to tell Roshen at breakfast, too J

No comments:

Post a Comment