Thursday, September 9, 2010

Have You Ever Considered Being a Teacher?

Debbie, my German roommate, has started helping me with my English classes which is SUCH a blessing because we are able to be more personal with the girls and give them more individualized attention during class. Generally I start with some activity, conversation, or introduction to what we are going to be doing and then we split into two groups to read and work on comprehending what we’re reading. Today after class, Debbie asked me if I have ever considered doing this for real. By “this”, she meant teaching. She told me that she thinks I have a real talent for it, I have many great ideas, and that I do a great job of working with the girls. This made me soooo happy. Teaching is something that people have always told me that I should do, but I kind of always fought it. Last year when I started studying international education, I found myself becoming uber passionate about education in general, the American educational system, and the evident lack of transformative education that is occurring…and I put on my list of things to do “Get licensed to teach” and “Get a doctor’s in education.” The more time I spend here teaching, both with the girls and helping Roshen plan and facilitate the SJPD class sessions, the more I absolutely love it. And, thanks to Debbie, I think I am going to seriously continue pursuing this teaching thing…

No comments:

Post a Comment