Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sweet Sunitha

I am so exhausted. Today I was up at 4:45 to skype with my sister. The sacrifices I make for you, K ;) unfortunately she was stuck in traffic and didn’t make it, so there I was, laying on the floor of the library waiting til 6am, when I would do yoga with the girls. I decided to try calling my Molly, and surprise surprise she was at her mom’s and could skype! So the early morning was worth it. After Molly, I went to yoga, stayed in the Aala to do some Bible reading and then the students came to begin Sudashankriya with Mr. Francis. By the time we were finished, it was only 8:30 but I had been up for almost 4 hours already! The rest of the day passed in a whilwind and I ran around like a headless chicken (as usual), doing things for the students, sitting in on class, taking care of campus logistics. I think we also had a meeting with David about development…it was such a crazy day I don’t remember. Tack on English from 5:30-6:30 and then dinner with the students at 6:30…I had a session with the students after dinner with announcements and planning, so I didn’t get the dining hall closed up until well after Bandhavi’s 8pm dinner. I went over to say hello and goodnight, expecting to be bombarded with demands to read or help with English homework. Instead, I got lots of hugs. When I entered Sunitha’s room, she looked at me and said, “badger, Auntie?” badger means sad in Kannada. I said No, I am just very tired. “Ba,” she said, “Come.” She took me by the hand and led me out the door where we sat against the wall. She pulled out some watercolors and she started to paint. She didn’t ask me questions, she just sat and painted and told me a story. It’s almost as if sweet Sunitha can sense my needs, feel my emotions. she is a Godsend, and although sometimes overwhelming, these girls are the absolute highlight of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment