Sunday, July 11, 2010

Rome.

I know, I know, here I am in India…LIVING in India…

And blogging about Rome?

I’m sorry, I’m sorry…

I just can’t help myself.

Eat Pray Love has the main character living in Rome for 4 months,

I found myself at a bookstore today

Reading about “Dream Destinations”

[of which Rome took up pages 42-46]

and a student here is going to be studying in Italy in the spring…

so clearly I have spent much of my time and power today

convincing her to choose Rome J

And…wishing I could go, too.

We went into Bangalore City today,

And as I walked around

I decided that I like the city.

I do.

But I am very, very glad that I don’t live in it

Because it wears me out.

And then I started to ponder the difference.

First, the difference between Bangalore

And Rome or London, the two places I crave most frequently,

And then the difference between

Traveling and living in a place.

I still haven’t come to any conclusions…

Or even concretely identified what the question is.

Except that I think

I could still live in Rome…

Yes, it is a big, busy, dirty [but beautiful] city

That is always hustling, always bustling.

But unlike NYC or Bangalore

It has this vitality, this energy, this invitation to intimacy

Yes, I think that is it.

Rome desires to be known,

And it longs for you to accept its invitation.

NYC and Bangalore, I think, are afraid to be known.

The people move so quickly,

With such purpose,

That the pavement is closed

And scared of being vulnerable

While Rome, well,

It embraces you.

Rome, it should be said, has not bothered to join the race for status. Rome doesn’t compete. Rome just watches all the fussing and striving, completely unfazed, exuding an air like: “Hey – do whatever you want, but I’m still Rome.” I am inspired by the regal self-assurance of this town, so grounded and rounded, so amused and monumental, knowing that she is held securely in the palm of history. I would like to be like Rome when I am an old lady [Eat Pray Love 76]

No comments:

Post a Comment