Thursday, July 8, 2010

Learning Kannada

I have decided
that since I am going to be here for 6 months
I am going to learn Kannada.
Kannada is the local language
and is actually the language that the title of this blog comes from.
And it wasn't entirely my decision, either...
when the girls learned that I am staying for 6 months,
they decided that I will teach them English, and they will teach me Kannada.
Except...they are already good at English.
And I am awful at Kannada.
I am normally a language person...
but up til today, I have just heard intonations and noises,
making "blah blah blah blah" noises back at the girls
when they would rattle on at me in Kannada.
but TODAY
one of them started breaking up the phrases
into subjects, verbs, and conjugations
and it made it so much easier!!!!
I learned to count [well, to 5...]
and actually had a conversation [that consisted of me asking someone's name, telling them mine, and telling them where I was from...but a conversation nonetheless].
So here I am,
the romance language girl
slowly but surely
learning Kannada.
Who knows...maybe by Christmas I will be fluent :)

No comments:

Post a Comment