Saturday, July 17, 2010

Off on an Adventure!

Just make sure the tribal chief doesn't marry you off to his eldest son in some obscure ceremony that you thought was a Welcome Ceremony. I can see it now. The chief puts feathers in your hair and you are hitched for life. And he throws in 5 water buffalos as an added bonus because of your blond hair. Well ,you get the picture.
This was the advice that my grandma had for me when I told her that tomorrow I am going traveling...very good advice and I assure you all that I will do my best to make sure that that doesn't happen :)
So yes, I am going traveling!
Crystal, one of the interns, is going to Wayanard in Kerala (the next state over) to do research for her senior thesis and Melissa and I are tagging along for the ride :)
We are going to be interviewing members of the Adivasi tribe. The Adivasis are similar to Native Americans in the states in that they are the native people who have been oppressed and enslaved and kicked off their land...I just joined the trip on Thursday so I haven't done a lot of background research, but I am very excited to experience more of the culture and history of this rich country that I live in and to learn more about human rights issues in India.
Wayanard is also the spice capital of the world and is home to the 2nd oldest cave paintings...yay for good food and good history!!!
I'll talk to you all again in a week, when I have returned with feathers in my hair and am 5 water buffalos richer...

No comments:

Post a Comment