Friday, July 2, 2010

Learning to Eat with my Hands

In India, we eat a lot of rice. Rice for breakfast, rice for lunch, and rice for dinner. It’s like survivor. And…you eat with your hands. I laugh thinking about how I thought chopsticks were hard J But seriously….next time you have rice, try gracefully eating a handful of it with your fingers. It’s tougher than it sounds.

But I thought I had it down…get some pointers from the other Americans, watch the Indians, pick up the rice and shovel it into your mouth as quickly as you can so that you don’t make a mess of yourself.

I was eating with the little girls last night, when they started giggling. I asked, “What? Why are you laughing?” and then they started making fun of me, mimicking the way I raise my elbow when I am putting food into my mouth, saying “No, Auntie” and pushing down my elbow. So thankful that they told me what I was doing wrong, I put my elbow down and tried again. Which was very awkward. And those girls just couldn’t stop laughing. I made quite the mess, but can now say that I am eating like an Indian…or at least attempting to J

1 comment:

  1. That's it Jen! To join you in your experience I will make sure that no one at the lake uses utensils this week. Oddly, this will be common ground for Uncle Charlie, Uncle Wally and Annika! Nice to talk with you and wonderful to read your blog. Praying for you and those who are blessed to have you as their "Auntie" God Bless! Auntie Kelly

    ReplyDelete