Monday, July 5, 2010

On the Flip Side

After I wrote about all the “hardships” of adventuring in the jungle, I started reflecting on the true harsh realities of this place where I live…

  • · Saturday, I bought an outfit for $22. Not bad for some authentic Indian apparel, huh? But I just did the math, and the reality is that, to the Indian consumer, that outfit cost the equivalent of $137.50. Were I an Indian, living in a country where the majority live on $1-2/day, I never would have been able to buy that very same outfit.
  • · The other day, the girls caught a glimpse of my permanent retainer and asked me what it was for…as I looked back at their crooked grins I felt so foolish telling them that the piece of metal that costs more than they will ever make in a year is to keep my teeth from moving apart [even though I am oh-so-thankful for it…contextually it seems so superfluous].
  • · These girls wake up at 5am. They do chores, study, do yoga, serve breakfast, and go to school. They come home, go to English class, go to computer class, study, serve dinner, and go to bed. But they never ever let me go behind them in the supper line.
  • · And…one [or more] of them is fighting AIDS. But it is a secret, because if the others find out she will be shunned.

Yes, we have plenty to be thankful for. And plenty to think about…because with great privilege comes great responsibility [borrowed and morphed that quote from Spiderman; thank you Uncle Ben]. More about that later, I’m sure.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,
    I just read your blogs. What an experience you are going to have... and I will try to be a faithful follower. You might be able to turn this into a book when you get home... what a great writer you are. It's captivating! We love you!
    Jann (and Paul)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That does give us a lot to think about. Thank you for putting things into perspective for not only yourself, but for all of us! :)

    ReplyDelete