Saturday, August 7, 2010

Wedding Whoops

Today, I was showing some of the girls pictures.
They wanted to see pictures of "my village",
and I was struggling.
I don't really have many pics out and about in Eden Prairie,
and they had already seen pics from Brattleboro.
So I asked if they wanted to see pictures from an American wedding,
which they got very excited about.
I think they were disappointed.
Although my best friend's wedding was beautiful,
it lacked the colors and craziness of which most Indian weddings boast.
We also show a little bit more skin.
They got a little more into it when I started reaching pictures from the dance
(mostly because it was one of the first times that I had pictures of the bride and groom together)
but when they saw the first dance, they asked, "Aren't there rules for dancing, auntie?"
and I was like, No, no rules.
I kept flipping through,
and came to one of my dad and I dancing
which made them very confused.
"You don't feel any shame, Auntie?"
At which point I realized that it probably is not normal for males and females to dance together in this culture. So I asked if men and women dance together at Indian weddings, and got a resounding, "Nooooo Auntie." The bride and groom don't even dance together. In fact, the groom sits and the women dance.
Ooops. Not only have I just exposed them to the scantiness of Western fashion, but also to the scandalous dance practices of Western weddings...and they have seen evidence of me partaking in both. A part of me feels guilty, like I should protect them from it. But at the same time, they are 18 and want to know where I come from. And there is nothing inherently wrong with our fasion (most of the time) or with our wedding dances (as long as they're classy).
I just wonder what they think of me - of us - now...

No comments:

Post a Comment