Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sick Day Part Deux

Guess who has a fever again? Yup, I do. This morning the first people I saw were Anu and Roshen, and the first thing Roshen said to me was, “You look awful.” Gee thanks, Rosh. I can tell that it isn’t as bad as the last time, though, and I went back to bed for the afternoon to avoid it getting worse. The absolute bummer of being sick, though, is that I had to cancel my English class. Today was my favorite class, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, and I had really been looking forward to it.
When I walked down to tell them that I wasn’t going to make it, Gangamma saw me coming and ran out to meet me with open arms. She stopped dead in her tracks when she got within a few feet of me, put her hand to her throat, and asked me with inquisitive eyes, “Jaya (fever), auntie?” I smiled weakly and nodded, and she wrapped her arms around me and walked me to the classroom. At this point, it started raining, and all of the girls came and got me inside. Shacuntala got me a chair to sit in, and they made me sit until the rain let up, most of them stroking my arm or hair. At dinner that night, Gangamma came to sit by me and (after inquiring about the status of my fever) told me, “Auntie, I was badger (mad/sad) today that we didn’t have English class. I like English class. I like you. I was badger that you were sick.” (This was in a lot more broken English, which I wish I could remember so that you can get a better feel for how the girls speak, but alas I have only my understanding of what was said). This warmed my heart in so many ways – first and foremost, that she likes English. Secondly, that she likes my English class (and me ☺). I ran into Shiva on my way out, and she seconded Gangamma’s thoughts. And asked if we could make it up tomorrow. Or Saturday. Or Sunday. Or Monday. Or Tuesday. Or Wednesday. Oh man I love these girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment