Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pondering Pomegranites

Since I moved to India, pomegranates have become my new favorite fruit. I have always loved pomegranate-flavored things, pomegranate juice, pomegranate frozen yogurt at Freeziac, and chocolate-covered pomegranate seeds, but I realized that I have never actually eaten the fruit purely on its own. I even have a pomegranate tree outside my front door, which makes me so so happy.

Yum. Besides its delicious taste and incredible nutritional value, I think I love pomegranates so much because you cannot eat them in a hurry. Pomegranates take a long time to eat, and for that reason you enjoy them more. You can’t eat a pomegranate while doing something else (even reading – the seeds are too juicy), and to that end you are completely concentrated on the process of breaking apart the flesh and pulling out the seeds. Eating a pomegranate isn’t a mindless activity like pulling out a bag of potato chips would be. You are focused on the process, on the taste, on the juice, and are able to think, to relax, to enjoy conversation. A small pomegranate should take at least 20 minutes to eat; today, I had a medium-sized one that I ate in 45 minutes…and even that was rushing it a little bit. Who has time to take 45 minutes to eat one fruit, you ask?

I think that we all should.

No comments:

Post a Comment