Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Slipping Through my Fingers

Here we are, day 3 of the ABBA titles for my blog posts. My most sincere apologies.

Today, Crystal left.

I am officially the only intern left at Visthar.

This morning when I watched the girls leaving for school,

Backpacks bobbing,

I started singing “Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning – Waving goodbye with an absentminded smile…”

As the day progressed, this song continued to ring true and gain more meaning.

I wrote more here, but it turned into a personal reflection rather than a post for the world, so I will just continue with this:

Today was kind of rough, but rewarding.

Now that Crystal has left, it means I have been here almost 2 months.

The students are coming in a week and a half,

And then the time will fly.

But as I sit on the girls’ beds at night

Listening to their English reading,

As they braid my hair,

As they tell me that they didn’t like me when I first came

But now I am “Super, Auntie”,

As their house mother comes and gets me for an “Emergency”

Which turns out to be heaping bowls of ice cream snuck from the kitchen

That we share in muffled giggles

(and the continued whispered exclamation of, “It always tasted better when it is stolen!”),

I realize how quick this is all going to go,

How it is

“Slipping through my fingers all the time

I try to capture every minute

The feeling in it

Slipping through my fingers all the time”.

No comments:

Post a Comment