Saturday, September 24, 2011

This is My Town

I love Bangalore.  and I love that it's home.
Today I spent time with my friend from SIT who just arrived Friday for his practicum.  I met him on MG Road, we met some friends by UB city, walked Brigade and Commercial, and I dropped him at Shivaji Nagar.  It was SO fun to show someone around my town and to share with him my India :)
The best part?
We were in FabIndia and he was trying on some gorgeous kurtas.  I picked one up that was next to me so I could feel the embroidery, and the salesman said, "That is a large, madam" to which I replied "Yeah, that's too big - I need a small."  The security guard laughed and said something to the salesman, who then turned to me and asked, "Excuse me madam, but are you a regular here?"
I was taken aback.  "Well, I haven't been here for 8 months, but when I lived here last year I came often and always brought friends..."
"Yes, madam.  It is just that this guy here just told me that I don't need to tell you about sizes because you were a regular and used to come often."
I am a regular at FabIndia.
The second best part?
After making sure Cabbie got to the right platform and knew his bus number, I walked back down Commercial to catch an auto at dispensary.  I haggled for a price, feeling like this guy was a bit familiar but not knowing how.  Once we started driving, he turned to make conversation.
And I knew.
This was the driver I had last December who taught me how to drive an auto rickshaw.
I answered his question about how long I had been and how long I was staying, and then I said, "But I lived here 6 months in 2010, and I think that you drove me in December.  You taught me how to drive your auto...?"  He looked back at me, looked at the road, looked back again and said, "Ahhh yes madam!  On Hennur Main Road - Kothanur!"
"Yes!" I said, laughing.
"Do you want to drive today? After Mekhri circle?" he asked.
"No, no. It's dark, and there is traffic, and the road is so busy!"
But when he pulled over after Mekhri circle and motioned for me to get into the front seat, I couldn't resist.
And I drove myself the rest of the way home :)


1 comment:

  1. Jen!! I love this post. It just made me really happy. Even though it's not abroad, I became a regular recently at my local bagel shop where I practice my Spanish with the two owners (even though by practicing I mean I always order the same thing in Spanish...haha). Glad to hear you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete