Saturday, September 3, 2011

Living in a Dream World


Well today was a blast from the past.  I heard from Sid on Thursday that Roshen wanted to hang out with us on Saturday - was I free?  He didn’t even need to ask...I’m clearly always free for a triple date with Sid and Roshen.  The most exciting part was when Roshen texted, though, asking if I meeting at 4pm outside of Gangaram’s was ok.  I got butterflies in my stomach and almost squealed, “EEEEEEE” from my air-conditioned car.   Gangaram’s is a multi-level bookstore; what better place to meet Rosh than at a bookstore.  For old time’s sake.  But when I got there, we didn’t even step inside.  I heard him giggling before I even saw him, and he swept me into a hug and away over to India Coffeehouse, where we chatted quite awhile until, “Jen, I think we have exhausted our white privilege here, and we should move on to another coffee shop.”  Siddo met us at Coffee Day, and we caught everyone up on everyone else’s work...then moved to the Empire for dinner, where we hemmed and hawed and laughed and groaned over last year’s program, and finally on to Cornerhouse, which is simply the best ice cream I have ever tasted.  They have changed their sizing since I left in December, too - a regular is now 3 scoops, a junior size 2.  Same prices.  Booya.
Sometimes I feel like I am living in a dream.  As we were walking down the street to part ways, I finally verbalized what I had been feeling all night long - all week, even: “Guys, isn’t it weird that I live here now???”  Roshen just giggled.  
Sometimes I wait for something to happen to break the surreal feeling of it all, but as I rode on the back of the bike down back country roads, the Indian evening breeze whipping through my hair, it was pretty hard to believe that I had ever left at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment