Friday, September 2, 2011

A Full Friday


I feel as if I lived 3 days today.  And as I looked out the raindropped window at the crazy Bangalore traffic, I almost had to pinch myself.  This is like a dream.  It is so unbelievable that I live here.
We started the day with a visit to one of the public schools in Bangalore. We presented to and spoke with first the 12th standard and second the 11th.  It was awesome.  Awesome to get inside their heads, encourage their dreams, share with them opportunities that they may have to achieve them.
Then I met a government commissioner.  And I thought he was a pretty cool guy.  I mostly listened, but we talked education in India.  What does India have, what does it need.  How do we meet those needs, how can the government help us meet those needs.  He was very intent upon opening access to education for those who do not have it, and he warmed my heart.  A few days ago, I met someone who works for the Education USA (a cultural exchange of the State Department) and invited us to the consulate in Chennai.  I can’t believe the people I am meeting...or how even the most unanticipated people have connections and insight / input to your work.
Later, we went to UB City.  UB City is a place that I never stepped foot in the last time I was here - it is the high end shopping mall / restaurants.  Think Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Botega Veneta.  The apple store.  This is a whole different India.  We met a designer, and you could tell from his appearance the he was, indeed, a designer.  How I would envision Mark Jacobs or Mr. Valentino when they aren’t tuxed up:  Black top, dark jeans.  A few bracelets, salt and pepper beard.  He’s sold his successful design business, and is now working with artisans and crafts, several different brands, and trying to start a work skills program so that these gifted people can learn how to turn their craft into something profitable.  Awesome.  
And....I am exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment