Monday, September 19, 2011

#thingsidontloveaboutindia

Tonight it started monsooning at about 7:14.
We were supposed to leave the office at 7, but our call went late.
I was supposed to be home by 8 because the bank was coming over to verify that I hadn't given them a fraudulent address when I opened my account.

I love being caught in the monsoon unexpectedly. Seriously.  I know a lot of people hate it and find it inconvenient, and yes, sometimes it is inconvenient, but there's just this feeling of "well, I guess I really don't have control over anything, and the best thing I can do is stand here in / watching the rain until it's finished." and if you've read my blog from the last time around, you  know that there are some pretty classic moments that come from being monsooned.

But tonight, it was different.  I had to run outside in the pouring rain to try to catch an auto - it's kind of hard to convince them to drive me to Amruthahalli (where?!?) anyway, but in the rain it was double the fight.  Two turned me down, and when the third demanded way too much money I gave in so I wouldn't get soaked to the bone.

He complained the whole way there.  Oh, look at the traffic madam.  Oh, this is so far away madam.  Oh, I can't see through the windshield because there is too much rain madam.

Save it, buddy.  You chose to drive me here.  But at this point I decided that I wasn't going to ask him to drive me down the dirt road to the apartment - I would walk.

When he dropped me, he asked me for more money.  I was already paying double, I told him.  No way was he getting more.  I told him from the start where we were going, and this is what he signed up for.  Ten rupees, madam?  No.  A kiss, madam?  Definitely not.

On the list of #thingsIdontloveaboutindia?  Deciding not to barter for a dollar in order to stay dry, only to be stuck with a greedy driver who has the audacity to ask for a kiss after you've paid him double what he already deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment