Friday, September 30, 2011

Experiencing Expatriotism

I am an expat.
Yes, I confess it.
As much as I don’t want to be, I am one.
I can’t help it.
According to the dictionary, an expatriate is “a person who lives outside of his or her native country.”
Guilty.
But I solemnly swear that I am not like them.
I do not brunch at the Oberoi
Or lounge at the Leela Palace.
I don’t have a car and driver,
And I would much rather go to a play at the local Indian theatre
Than spend the night clubbing with other feringhees (foreigners).
I don’t see my time in India as transitory;
Rather, I am fully present (or at least try to be).
I’d prefer to converse with you about a topic of substance
Instead of complain about how difficult life in India is,
How “different” it is to work with “them”.
Please.
Have we ever thought about how “different” it is
For “them” to work with “us”?
I brush my teeth with tap water
…and sometimes I drink it.
I eat with my hands.
I like taking autos.
And I ride the bus.
What brought me to India, you ask?
Well, I was here last year for a 6 month internship…
What’s that you say?
Yes, yes, I chose to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment