Saturday, October 2, 2010

FunWorld

I woke up this morning stiff as a board without being able to move my neck. I feel as if I was in a car crash; as if I have literally been hit by a truck. “What did I do to myself?” I asked. And then I remembered. I went to Funworld last night.

And at Funworld, I saw my life flash before my eyes several times.

Now, if you drive by Funworld, you would probably think, “Oh look, an old run-down Indian amusement park.” If you park your car and walk towards Funworld, you think, “Wow, based upon the empty parking lot on a Friday night this really looks like a thrilling place to be.” After you enter the gates, you think, “Hey, this is sketch but look, there are no lines. This could be fun.”

It wasn’t until I was sitting in my first ride and looked down at the slightly-broken safety bar that I looked at Devaney and said, “I am seriously starting to question the safety of this place…”

That thought repeated itself several times throughout the night: as I got off of a ride and realized that it had been mechanized not by machinery but by the manpower of the guys who spun us round-and-round (btw, I only realized this as I too crossed all safety lines to stand next to them and take pictures…), as a ride was about to begin but James raised his arms in a “Time-out” position because JP’s seatbelt had broken, as we were riding one of those pirate ships that swings back and forth and found the safety bars lifting and the attendant motioning us to get off when the ship was still swinging (you had to time it really well as the ship swung across: nothing – platform – nothing – platform – nothing – jump!) and as we walked across the tracks of one ride in order to get to the entrance of the roller coaster.

The roller coaster is a story in and of itself. The cars looked like something that had been used as decoration and was scavenged from the basement of the Phantom of the Opera and when it lurched to a start there was such clank and clatter that I (a) started praying that we would make it around the tracks and (b) decided this would be a great time to take some video footage. I am so glad I did, because as we neared the first big drop Devaney turned around and shook her head dubiously. I watched the first cars’ hands go up, then the second, and suddenly – we dropped. No, we didn’t just start to go downhill on the tracks. I am pretty positive that the cars continued going straight until there were no more tracks to follow and then dropped back down onto them. My camera went tumbling (if you watch the footage, you would probably believe that this is the point where we died because it tumbles, tumbles, tumbles and then shuts off), I just about bit my tongue off, and I’m pretty sure that my entire ribcage is bruised from the impact.

However, the amount of laughter that this night brought us makes up for any safety hazards that we faced, and the fact that we survived Funworld makes the next five years of chiropractic care worth the money J

No comments:

Post a Comment