Thursday, November 25, 2010

An Indian Thanksgiving

Wearing plaid, listening to Josh, I could see my breath on my morning run, and, with a little imagination, breakfast tasted like stuffing. It’s kind of really Thanksgiving J

Other than that, though, an Indian Thanksgiving is pretty uneventful. It’s clearly not celebrated here, and we were working, as usual.

One of my highlights, though, was a facebook message I got from one of my students. I had written to let her know that I picked up her sari blouse at the tailors, and I received back a much longer message thanking me, telling me they missed me, and then wishing me happy thanksgiving. With an, “Oh. I don’t know if you do this in your family, but if you do….” And she proceeded to write a list of all the things that she is thankful for, and invited me to do the same. It was so cute, and quite the blessing as I sat and thought, really, of what I was thankful for. From silly things, like Sid's plaid shirt I was wearing that reminds me of holiday festivities, to serious things, like how thankful I am that I was not put through the Indian school system, to meaningful, like the growth that i can see in myself and the ability to see who I was, who I am, and who I want to be.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, because the main purpose is to just be with the people that you love. And looking around today, I was overwhelmed with gratitude and amazement that here I am, in india, halfway around the world from my family and friends, yet I am still surrounded by people that I love. And who love me. And that, dear ones, is something to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment