Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Falling in Love at a Sari Shop

I think that possibly, maybe I’m falling for you

Yes there’s a chance that I’ve fallen quite hard over you

I’ve seen the beauty your fabric cretes

I want to wear you…

I think that possibly maybe I’m falling for you

Yes, I have fallen in love. With the sari. With Indian fashion in general, actually, and with Indian textiles. The colors, the textures, the weight, the embroidery…all of it. Today I went Christmas shopping with Rachel Patil, and she brought me someplace I have never been before. It is the Mysore Silk Emporium, and I’m pretty sure that I was in heaven. It was like a dream – you tell them what you are looking for, they lead you to the appropriate counter, and bring out fabrics, scarves, saris of all colors and price ranges. The tears came when I climbed up the stairs only to find bolts and bolts of incredible, incredible fabric. I don’t think Rachel shares quite the affinity for textiles that I do, so I didn’t linger as I could have, but I have big plans to return by myself and spend at least two hours perusing, feeling, and absorbing the beauty of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment