Saturday, November 13, 2010

If I Had a Million Dollars...

I decided today that there are two things that I am going to do as soon as I enter the MSP airport. The first is to buy a postcard showing pics of Minneapolis. I am going to address it immediately and send it ASAP back to Visthar.
The second is to buy a lottery ticket.
Because if I had a million dollars, I would buy a very large house and I would bring each and every one of these girls home with me. Not right away, mind you, and not for forever. As they graduate from Bandhavi, I will send them back to their village for a month or two of leave. And then I will fly to India, pick them up, and bring them back to the states. They will live with me for the summer getting adjusted to America and will then enroll at the U of MN...with my lottery jackpot, I will of course be footing the bill for their tuition. They get to ride bikes around campus just like they do now, to and from school, and will become equipped to follow all of their dreams.
10th class is 9 girls this year...9 girls who are looking ahead to an uncertain future. Yes, it is brighter because of their time at Visthar, but these girls are bright. They are gifted. They are beautiful. And in April they will be returning to their villages in rural India, most likely not quite schooled enough to cross the bridge into college. By bringing them to America I would in no way be trying to save them from the poor country of India, but rather to help empower them to return to their country as strong women equipped for change.
Start praying that that Christmas lottery has my name on it...

No comments:

Post a Comment