Tuesday, September 18, 2012

To London to London

I had been in 14 airports in 21 days.  I was ready for a vacation, and had no qualms with the fact that Heathrow would be airport #16!!

I was so used to traveling with a group of travelers that I caught myself looking around as I got off the plane; a visual sweep to make sure everyone was getting off (why they wouldn't, I don't know!  But it's the group leader in me).  As I walked towards immigration thinking of the things that I had to do (get through immigration, find an ATM, double check my hotel address), it hit me: I was by myself.  I was on my own time.  I didn't have to keep an eye on anybody but myself.  I took a deep breath and I smiled.  I got through immigration and moseyed my way towards baggage claim.  Rambled around until I found an ATM.  Went to the bathroom - without informing anybody that I was going! - and retrieved my suitcase.  And before I went out to the taxi stand, I stopped at Costa and bought a latte.  Just because I could. (Bonus: they even had a gluten-free brownie! Heck yes I snatched that up!)

When I walked out the sliding doors towards the cab stand, a blast of cool air hit me.  It was autumn. I was in London.  I was on my own time.  My family was waiting for me.  My cabbie asked my destination, and I settled into the backseat with a smile.  Not just any smile, though.  The kind of smile that comes from deep within, warms every part of your body, and explodes out your mouth - the kind you wouldn't be able to keep in if you tried.  I sipped my latte and watched the scenery become more and more urban as we entered the city.  I realized that most foreigners are startled by the fact that the British drive on the left side of the road...but I live in India; I'm used to that.  I was more awestruck by the ORDER and DISCIPLINE with which we were driving!  I smiled again.  I live in India.  I'm rendezvousing with some of my favorite people in London.  I start to see landmarks that I recognize, and another smile explodes.  This is a good beginning to a great first day of the best vacation I have had in a very, very long time.  My family. Starbucks. Union Jack souvenir kitsch. Zara. Liberty London.  People watching. Spanish food. Gelato. Bathrobes. Gluten-Free bread. Brisk autumn breezes. Meeting new people. Learning.  Dancing. Being.  So many things that I love, all in the same place at the same time.  And it was only day one.






No comments:

Post a Comment