Sunday, August 28, 2011

Leaving


I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again - leaving is the pits.  But sometimes, it’s the only way to get to where you’re going.  Become who you’re becoming.
My family has come to loathe airport goodbyes.  “Isn’t there some better way to do this?” we ask.  But alas, there is none.  I had a dry run last Sunday when we brought my sister to the airport so she could get to California for her senior year of college.  I held her hand the whole time, casting sideways glances down the ticketing counter towards the American Airlines, where I would be leaving in just one week...today.  Then, the sight of it made me want to throw up.  We cried, we prayed, and sent my little sister through security.  Watched her gather up her things, turn for one last wave goodbye, and then square her shoulders and walk confidently out into the great big world.  I used to love airports, they gave me butterflies of excitement in my stomach, but now they generally represent leaving, and the thought of leaving just makes me nauseous.
Today it was my turn.  JJ slept with me, but I only made it to bed for an hour before it was time to get up again.  And in that hour, he managed to steal all of my covers.  Thanks bro.  When  I woke up, the first thing I thought was, “I’m moving to India today.  What the heck am I doing?”  
The airport was hard.  I got all checked in by 6:40am, but didn’t need to head through security for at least an hour.  So Mom, Dad, and I sat with teary eyes watching the kiss and fly lane, holding each other, crying, and having the sendoff prayer.  We were quite the hot mess, that’s for sure.  But if it’s hard to leave something, it is because of the depth of your love for what you are leaving.  I am thankful that I can say that yes, I love Minnesota.  I love my family.  I love my friends.  You are my home, my community, my roots.  And I am so thankful that I stuck around long enough to be reminded of that.  Thank you for sticking by me, for loving me, and for reminding me of who I am when I forget.
My tears trickled off when it was time to go through security.  I gave Mom and Dad one last hug, heaved my carry-ons onto my shoulders, and headed through the line.  And as I did so, my sadness was replaced with peace, confidence, and anticipation.  I hate leaving, but I know that - for right now - this is right.  I waved once again, and with 12 minutes til boarding headed towards Starbucks to pick up one last treat.  9 minutes to boarding.  I left Starbucks and, as I passed the security line, had a feeling they were still there.  So I rambled by and sure enough, Mom and Dad were still holding each other, looking for one last glimpse.  
I smiled, waved, blew a final kiss, and turned to face the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment