Monday, August 29, 2011

I'm back :)


I got to Delhi around 3:30 India time and had to gather my luggage, go through customs, and recheck my luggage before heading through security and to my gate.  My first thought as I entered the airport?  It smells like India.  When I was here before, I don’t think I recognized it because I lived in it.  But coming, back, the heavy mix of incense, sweat, spices, and people hangs in the air.  I smiled - I’m back.
While I was at the baggage claim, a couple other white men stood by me to wait for their bags.  One greeted me with a, “Well, you surely aren’t Indian.  Where are you from?”  I laughed and we went through the niceties - I am from Minnesota, he’s from Mississippi.  I asked what he’s doing here, he’s on business, and I couldn’t grasp from our conversation if it was short or long term.  He’d never been, but seemed to speak of his wife and home like it was so far away.  So I asked  “So are you here short term, then, or will you be here for awhile?”
His response: “Oh, well to me it seems pretty long term.”  I nod understandably, thinking maybe he’ll be here til Thanksgiving or Christmas like others I have spoken with.  
He continued: “I’ll be here until the 5th.”
I felt my eyebrows raise, and I asked, “of September?”
“Yes, I won’t go home until Labor Day.  What about you, how long are you here?”
I laughed and said, “Well, I’ll be here a little bit longer than Labor Day...”

No comments:

Post a Comment