Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Day I Began to Fall in Love with India


On this Valentine's Day, I thought I'd throwback to a reflection of a day in early July 2010:  The day I began to fall in love with India.

Some say that when you fall in love,
You just know.
Not this girl.

I didn’t know it then,
But four months later,
As I was pondering my beloved with a smile,
It came to me.
I remembered that moment…
The moment
That I started to fall in love with India.

It was my seventh day in Incredible India,
And it was a hot day in Incredible India.
The air was so dense
I had to push myself through it

And as I rode in the local taxi
I rolled down my window
As far as it would go,
Positioning my body
To be the recipient
Of as much of the passing air as was possible.

Traffic was stop-and-go
But not stop-and-go like you’d picture in America.
This was an India-style traffic jam.
Cars were everywhere,
Horns were blaring.

As I looked at the bikes and the auto-rickshaws around me,
I found myself thankful
That there were only four passengers in my vehicle.
Four, and not fourteen.

I averted my gaze from those crowded cars
(it made me sweat even more just looking at them)
and my attention was captured
by the town around me.

Dusk was falling.
As I focused in on the scene before me,
The blaring of the traffic
Faded.
The sounds
Of a town waking up for their evening activities
Came alive.
I was captivated.

Food was sizzling
On the street-vendors’ carts
And grey smoke
Puffed up into the air,
Becoming nothing but a haze…
A haze that
Created a mirage effect
On the reel I was watching.

The smell of the street food
Blended gently
With the scent of incense
That always lingers in the air,
And I found it soothing.
Calming.
Cozy.
Yes, I felt cozy amidst the chaos.

Children were laughing.
They were riding their bicycles
With giant smiles on their faces
Chasing each other
In-and-out of the stop-and-go-traffic.
Can I play?

Men were gathered around the vendors
Dressed in Western clothing
And deep in discussion.
No doubt they were talking politics and religion,
And all I wanted to do was listen.
Still others sat away from the groups,
On doorsteps and curbs,
Watching me like I was watching them.

Women were walking
And talking,
Adorned in colors and patterns
That I had only before imagined.
Their bangles and ankle chains
Jingled with every step
And the music that it made
Invited me to dance.

Even among the honking horns,
The milieu was idyllic.
My heart swelled,
And my only desire
Was to leave the car
And walk with them.

I couldn’t perceive it at the moment,
But this was where my journey began.
This was when I began to fall in love with India.

No comments:

Post a Comment