Saturday, June 2, 2012

Jubilee!

Earlier this week, I met a new friend from England.  Her name is Ruth.

Halfway through the day, I got a text asking if I would like to come to her apartment tonight with some other Brits so that we could celebrate The Majesty Her Queen's Diamond Jubilee.  The celebration would include wearing tiaras and drinking tea out of newly-purchased teacups.

My reply?  Absoflippinlutely.

When I arrived, the BBC was on and I was met by two others from the UK that I hadn't met yet.  One greeted me with, "You sound American."  Well...I am American.  BUT my great-great grandmother was born within earshot of the Bow Bells so I have Cockney in my blood, I often crave London, and my grandma subscribes to Royalty Magazine (or is it Majesty Magazine? Probably both, actually)...therefore, I like to think I'm a smidgeon English and I love that I'm taking part in the Jubliee!  (I had already been following the celebration via Twitter, and it turns out that, once in a while, I knew more about the Royals and British history than some of the girls actually from the UK did!)

The evening was a smashing success, and at times we wondered that that we were celebrating England in a country that was so recently oppressed by its imperialism.  Que vida, no?

We drank apple juice (sometimes mixed with rum...) out of a new china set.  One teacup, from one of the Brits, boasted a picture of the Queen herself.  While we crafted some Union Jack bunting, we watched the Diamond Jubilee specials on the BBC, and our conversation that stemmed from this was both intellectual and humorous. And, of course, we each ended up confessing our schoolgirl crushes on William...or Harry...or both :)  To be honest, though, I was completely sucked in to the programme.  And watching it, being reminded of different events and circumstances, certain passions of certain Royals, etc., my respect for this family increased multifold.

Our homemade Union Jack bunting
We cooked baked beans and runny eggs sunny side up, fried tomatoes.  The reaction these girls had to the smells and tastes of food from home was absolutely priceless.  I made truffles and there was other chocolate to be shared.  We drank Tetley tea and watched bad British comedy.  The entire evening's festivities were conducted while wearing plastic tiaras.

It was absolutely brilliant and the loveliest of evenings.
God save the Queen!

No comments:

Post a Comment