Friday, June 15, 2012

Ignorance Doesn't Change the World


Wasn’t it easier in the lunchbox days?
Always a bigger bed to crawl into?
Wasn’t it beautiful when you believed in everything?
Everybody believed in you?
‘Innocent’ – Taylor Swift

Sometimes,
I wish that I could go
Back to the days
When
My biggest decision
Was who to invite to my birthday party
Or which OPI Nail Lacquer to buy
And
My biggest prayer request
Was that I would 
“Do well” in my exam or presentation.
When
My biggest problem
Was an unfair teacher
Or conflicting social events.
When
My biggest worry
Was that I wouldn’t get a date to the prom
Or be accepted to a good college
And
My biggest spiritual hurdle
Was how to “Be a witness”
To my friends who
(gasp)
swore.

The days
When
I could buy a product without
Wondering
About the the people who made it
(fair trade)
(sweat shops)
(chemical exposure)
(child labour)
(conflict minerals)
And therefore become
Conflicted
Myself.
The days
When
Having a crush on a boy
Meant I never had to
Actually
Talk to him.

The days
Before I started thinking critically.
The days
Before I left my “bubble.”
The days
Before I learned
That believing in God
Can be hard sometimes.
Before I wondered
What Jesus really meant
When He said,
"Follow Me."

The days
Before I watched the news.
Before I interacted with the oppressed.
Before I saw people’s spiritual wounds.
Before I experienced a world of unnecessary suffering.
Before I knew heartbreak.
Before I recognized my privilege.
Before I asked questions.

Things were easier in the lunchbox days.
These days are hard,
And sometimes they hurt.
But I believe they are worth it.

I guess it's true what they say,
That
Ignorance is bliss.

But ignorance doesn’t
Change the world.


And it won't change me, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment