Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Special Visitor


Today I had the pleasure of spending the afternoon with Mary Pawlenty, former America state court judge and wife of Tim Pawlenty, former governor of Minnesota and presidential candidate (2012).

She is connected with my boss and is traveling in India, so she put our Center in her agenda.  Today was a holiday, but I had no complaints when it came to coming to work to welcome her ;)

I’ve met Mrs. Pawlenty several times before, in passing, and we have some common ground (Minnesota, Bethel, etc.).  But I’ve never had the opportunity to sit and chat with her.

What a lovely lady.
We had a beautiful chat, and when she realized it was time for her to head to the airport, she closed her eyes, gathered her thoughts, and said, “Thank you.”  She continued, giving me a list.  Each sentence started with “Thank you for...” Some were professional.  Some were personal.  Every one was meaningful.  After “Thank you for being a woman of strength”, she gave me a big hug.

It was exactly the encouragement that I needed today, this week, this month.  A conversation with a woman who barely knows me, but genuinely cares and is intentional to know the person with whom she interacts, regardless of how short or long the time.

On days like today, I blink rapidly, shake my head, and wonder with amazement why I am where I am.  I am a Minnesotan in Bangalore.  I am only 25. I am privileged to be doing exactly what my dream has been, exactly what I went to school for.  Every day presents its own challenges, but every day I learn and grow.  The people with whom I have been privileged to interact, the places I have been, is sometimes mind-boggling, and I am not unaware that with great opportunity comes great responsibility.  Sometimes I wonder why me, and sometimes I wonder how it will all fit together, what future these experiences are preparing me for.

But regardless of where the journey leads, I am thankful for today.  And for today’s tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment