Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I Love India

This evening I was standing in line to board a flight to Pune.  As I waited in the long line (which was more like a crowded, smooshing blob than a line - I'm in India, remember?) I glanced at the flat-screen plasma TV on the left to see if I could get a peek at the news.  Instead of the news, it was a commercial for Incredible India.

Breathtaking scenes from across the country played, and although I couldn't hear the music over the airport din, I could hear it in my mind.  I can hear it now, actually.  I watched as women dressed in every color carried bundles on their heads, as elephants played and sprayed water in a palm tree-lined river.

Suddenly, something bubbled up in my stomach.  It was that happy and excited feeling, and I couldn't stop it; it burst onto my face as a huge smile.  I live here, I thought.  The feeling continued, the smile pressed on, and I probably would have squealed if it wouldn't have been slightly disruptive.  I felt so silly, boasting a beaming grin and eyes big with anticipation as I walked onto the plane.  People must have thought I was going home, but alas that won't be for another 5 months (But don't worry, Mom, my smile will be even bigger then).

Why the heck do I feel like this?!? I wondered as I settled into my seat, cheeks hurting from smiling so much.  I never found a clear answer or a reason for the unexpected burst of emotion, but those 10 seconds of the Incredible India advertisement catalyzed a subconscious response that reminded me of one thing, and one thing only: I love India.  And sometimes, believe me, a reminder like that is much-needed.

I took this photo in Kerala the first of this year, and it very well could have been taken from an Incredible India advertisement.  Kerala is known as "God's Own Country".

No comments:

Post a Comment